Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) enPR: ô'tŏp"sē, IPA(key): /ˈɔːˌtɒpsiː/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈɔˌtɑpsi/
- Hyphenation: au‧top‧sy
autopsy (plural autopsies)
- A dissection performed on a cadaver to find possible cause(s) of death.
- An after-the-fact examination, especially of the causes of a failure.
- (rare) An eyewitness observation, the presentation of an event as witnessed.
a dissection performed on a cadaver
- (transitive) To perform an autopsy on.
- (transitive) To perform an after-the-fact analysis of, especially of a failure.
perform an autopsy