Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK, US) IPA(key): /əˈɹaɪ/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -aɪ
- (nonstandard) IPA(key): /ˈɔ.ɹi/
obliquely, crookedly; askew
- Turned or twisted toward one side; crooked, distorted, out of place; wry.
- Synonym: (mostly UK) wonky
- The frame was awry.
- (figuratively) Wrong or distorted; perverse, amiss.
- There is something awry with this story.
- 2021 April 29, Jamie Jackson, “Edinson Cavani and Bruno Fernandes help Manchester United hit Roma for six”, in The Guardian:
- It came inside 50 minutes and moments later Cavani should have had a 12th. Pogba and Shaw combined before the left-back’s cross teed up the striker but his radar was awry.
- For quotations using this term, see Citations:awry.
turned or twisted toward one side
wrong or distorted; perverse, amiss