baptism of fire
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Christianity) The gift of the Holy Spirit.
- (Christianity) Tribulation endured as spiritual discipline.
- 2013, “Mammy?”, in Mrs. Brown's Boys, season 3, episode 5, spoken by Father Damien (Conor Moloney):
- And the Father's counselor suggested that he invite you along to help: sort of a re–baptism of fire, so to speak.
- (Christianity) Martyrdom by immolation.
- (military, figuratively) The first experience of a severe ordeal, especially a first experience of military combat
- Having to deal with a bomb scare on his first day was a real baptism of fire for John.
the first experience of a severe ordeal