- (India, dated) An exchange rate.
- (India, dated) The discount on uncurrent coins.
- (India, dated) Extra pay; especially an extra allowance to an English officer serving in India.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Whitworth to this entry?)
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for batta in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
- leather pouch (e.g., for tobacco)
- small metal container (e.g., of tiger balm)
- first-person singular, second-person singular and third-person singular present subjunctive of battere
- third-person singular imperative of battere