Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
birther (plural birthers)
- One who gives birth.
1951, Erico Verissimo, Time and the Wind, volume 2, page 583:
- […] she couldn't be an "easy birther."
1998, January 22, Paper Disputes Claims of Oldest Brit to Deliver, page C2:
- Liz Buttle, Britain's oldest birther, lied about not taking fertility drugs and didn't conceive her 2-month-old boy in the usual way as she insisted.
- (slang, pejorative, US politics) A believer that the current President of the United States of America is not a natural-born U.S. citizen, and therefore ineligible for the presidency.
2008, December 8, “Jay Bookman”, in 'Shut up about the birth certificate':
- I confess I do have some sympathy for the "birthers," though. As an outsider, it's hard to distinguish between the zany arguments that get official approval by the conservative establishment --- things like Bill Ayers, Michelle Obama's infamous "whitey" tape, the claim that Obama is a closet Marxist --- and those arguments that are considered beyond the pale.
2009 August 7, Paul Krugman, “The Town Hall Mob”, in New York Times:
- Senator Dick Durbin has suggested that the birthers and the health care protesters are one and the same; we don’t know how many of the protesters are birthers, but it wouldn’t be surprising if it’s a substantial fraction.
2010, September 29, “Mark Benjamin”, in What Islamophobia really threatens:
- Earlier this month, columnist and birther Frank Gaffney, Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich., the ranking Republican on the Intelligence Committee, and others held a news conference on Capitol Hill to release a report on Muslim religious law entitled "Shariah: The Threat to America."
- Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories