Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
birther (plural birthers)
- (rare) One who gives birth.
1951, Erico Verissimo, Time and the Wind, volume 2, page 583:
- […] she couldn't be an "easy birther."
1998, January 22, Paper Disputes Claims of Oldest Brit to Deliver, page C2:
- Liz Buttle, Britain's oldest birther, lied about not taking fertility drugs and didn't conceive her 2-month-old boy in the usual way as she insisted.
- (slang, pejorative, US politics) A believer that Barack Obama, current President of the United States of America, was not born in that country, and therefore ineligible for presidency due to national law.
2008, December 8, “Jay Bookman”, in 'Shut up about the birth certificate':
- I confess I do have some sympathy for the "birthers," though. As an outsider, it's hard to distinguish between the zany arguments that get official approval by the conservative establishment --- things like Bill Ayers, Michelle Obama's infamous "whitey" tape, the claim that Obama is a closet Marxist --- and those arguments that are considered beyond the pale.
2009 August 7, Paul Krugman, “The Town Hall Mob”, in New York Times:
- Senator Dick Durbin has suggested that the birthers and the health care protesters are one and the same; we don’t know how many of the protesters are birthers, but it wouldn’t be surprising if it’s a substantial fraction.
2010, September 29, “Mark Benjamin”, in What Islamophobia really threatens:
- Earlier this month, columnist and birther Frank Gaffney, Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich., the ranking Republican on the Intelligence Committee, and others held a news conference on Capitol Hill to release a report on Muslim religious law entitled "Shariah: The Threat to America."
one who gives birth
- Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories