black and tan
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Any of various breeds of dog having black and tan colouring. [from 19th c.]
- (US slang, now historical) A bar, nightclub etc. which had both black and white customers, especially one that featured black entertainers. [from 19th c.]
- (colloquial) An alcoholic drink made from a dark and a light malt, typically stout (black) and ale (tan). [from 19th c.]
- Not only did the Dublin barkeeps not make a shamrock in the foam, they claimed to not even know what a black and tan was.
- (in the plural) An armed force recruited to fight against Irish republican activity in Northern Ireland; see Black and Tans. [from 20th c.]