Jump to navigation Jump to search
broomstick (plural broomsticks)
- the handle of a broom (sweeping tool).
- a broom imbued with magic, enabling one to fly astride the handle.
- 1997, Diana Wynne Jones, Witch Week:
- She really was a witch now. No one but a witch could fly a broomstick.
- 2003, David Pickering, Cassell's Dictionary of Superstitions:
- Most people are familiar with the age-old superstition that witches fly on broomsticks to their covens (though they were formerly also reputed to use shovels, cleft sticks, eggshells, ANIMALS and other means of flight).
the handle of a broom
a broom imbued with magic