Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -æv
- (intransitive) To give birth to a calf.
- (intransitive) To assist the giving of birth of a calf.
- (intransitive, figuratively, especially of an iceberg, glacier, or the like) To break off or shed a large piece.
- The glacier was starting to calve even as we watched.
- The sea was dangerous because of icebergs calving off the nearby glacier.
to give birth to a calf
to shed a large piece
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- plural of