Borrowing from Hindi चीता (cītā, “leopard, panther”), ultimately from Sanskrit चित्र (citra, “multicolored, speckled”) (akin to Old High German haitar (“bright”)  > German heiter; Old Norse heiðr (“bright”)) + Sanskrit काय (kāya, “body”), thus “having a spotted body”.
- IPA(key): /ˈtʃiːtə/
Audio (US) 175px (file)
- Rhymes: -iːtə
- Homophone: cheater (in non-rhotic accents)
cheetah (plural cheetahs)
- A distinctive member (Acinonyx jubatus) of the cat family, slightly smaller than the leopard, but with proportionately longer limbs and a smaller head. It is native to Africa and also credited with being the fastest terrestrial animal.
- cheetah on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Acinonyx jubatus on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Acinonyx jubatus on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons