Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To subject to harassment or verbal abuse.
- To coerce, as by persistent request.
2005 November 10, Nick Robinson, “Robinson's view: Blair's defeat”, in BBC News:
- For 11 years now he has only one approach - to lead from the front and then to confront, challenge, and chivvy the Labour Party into backing him.
2007 April 24, “The Albert Sessions”, in (Please provide the book title or journal name):
- We don't have time to respond to emails or any attempts to chivvy us up - sorry.
- To sneak up on or rapidly approach.
- To pursue as in a hunt.
- to chivvy the fox
chivvy (plural chivvies)