Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /ʃu.ʃəʊˈtɑːʒ/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /ʃu.ʃoʊˈtɑʒ/
- Hyphenation: chu‧cho‧tage
- The interpretation or translation of speech in a whisper to a single person in proximity to other people.
- 2011, David Bellos, Is That a Fish in Your Ear?: Translation and the Meaning of Everything, London: Penguin Books, →ISBN, page 141:
- Eventually, the words of such Aramaic whisper-translations (called chuchotage in the modern world of international interpreters) were written down, mostly in small fragments, and these targums now provide precious linguistic and historical records for scholars of Judaism.
interpretation of a speech in a whisper
chuchotage m (plural chuchotages)
- “chuchotage”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
chuchotage m (invariable)