Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (of quantifiers of nouns) Approximately
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:approximately
- It lasted close to an hour.
- It rained for close to forty days and forty nights.
- (informal) Nearly; almost
- The project is close to finished.
- The chair was close to the window.
- 1879, R[ichard] J[efferies], chapter 1, in The Amateur Poacher, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., […], OCLC 752825175:
- They burned the old gun that used to stand in the dark corner up in the garret, close to the stuffed fox that always grinned so fiercely. Perhaps the reason why he seemed in such a ghastly rage was that he did not come by his death fairly. Otherwise his pelt would not have been so perfect.