Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkəʊtɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈkoʊtɪŋ/, [ˈkʰoʊ̯ɾɪŋ]
- Rhymes: -əʊtɪŋ
coating (plural coatings)
- A thin outer layer.
- 1980, Robert M. Jones, editor, Walls and Ceilings, Time-Life Books, →ISBN, page 48:
- You can, if you like, give the completed cork wall a protective coating of sealer, stain, varnish, wax or polish, so you will be able to use liquid cleaners on it.
- They painted on a coating to protect it from the weather.
- (archaic) Cloth for making coats.
a thin outer layer
- present participle of
- We spent hours coating the truffles with cocoa powder so they wouldn't be sticky.