Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /kɒnjəˈʃɛnteɪ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌkɑɡ.nəˈʃɛn.ti/, /ˌkɑn.jəˈʃɛn.ti/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
cognoscente (plural cognoscenti)
- Someone possessing superior or specialized knowledge in a particular field; a connoisseur.
- 1998, Marc J. Seifer, chapter 42, in Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius, →ISBN, page 397:
- At night, as creative author, the cognoscente sketched out the first draft of his expanded autobiography.
- 2011, Patrick Spedding; James Lambert, “Fanny Hill, Lord Fanny, and the Myth of Metonymy”, in Studies in Philology, volume 108, number 1, page 117:
- In the latter case — if only a handful of people knew the term — it would have been pretty pointless for Cleland to name his protagonist Fanny when practically nobody was likely to get the joke, not even cognoscenti such as Grose.
someone possessing specialized knowledge in a particular field
cognoscente (plural cognoscentes)