Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: expèrt
- 1 English
- 2 Czech
- 3 Dutch
- 4 French
- 5 Swedish
Audio (US) (file)
- Extraordinarily capable or knowledgeable.
- I am expert at making a simple situation complex.
- My cousin is an expert pianist.
- Characteristic of an expert.
- This problem requires expert knowledge.
- See also Wikisaurus:skillful
extraordinarily capable or knowledgeable
characteristic of an expert
expert (plural experts)
- A person with extensive knowledge or ability in a given subject.
- If an expert says it can't be done, get another expert. - David Ben-Gurion
- 2013 July 20, “Welcome to the plastisphere”, The Economist, volume 408, number 8845:
- Plastics are energy-rich substances, which is why many of them burn so readily. Any organism that could unlock and use that energy would do well in the Anthropocene. Terrestrial bacteria and fungi which can manage this trick are already familiar to experts in the field.
- We called in several experts on the subject, but they couldn't reach an agreement.
- (chess) A player ranking just below master.
person with extensive knowledge or ability
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- expert (person with extensive knowledge or ability in a given subject)
- an expert
Declension of expert