Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Commons
Audio (US) (file)
- plural of
- A dining hall, usually at a college or university.
- A central section of (usually an older) town, designated as a shared area, a common.
- The Renaissance festival started with the "peasants" meeting in the commons.
- The commons is the green space surrounded by the village hall, the school, and the church.
- The commons of New England towns are important contributors to their charm.
- (figuratively) The mutual good of all; the abstract concept of resources shared by more than one, for example air, water, information.
- "The tragedy of the commons" is that none wish to make sacrifices of their or their family's interests for the common good.
a central section of an older town
the mutual good of all
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.