Jump to navigation Jump to search
- giv'n (obsolete or poetic)
- past participle of give
- Considering; taking into account.
- Given the current situation, I don't think that's possible.
considering, taking into account
given (plural givens)
- A condition that is assumed to be true without further evaluation.
- When evaluating this math problem, don't forget to read the givens.
condition assumed to be true
given (comparative more given, superlative most given)
- Already arranged. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- Currently discussed. (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- Particular, specific.
- No more than three people can be in that space at a given time.
- Assumed as fact or hypothesis.
- Given that we will get the resources, what do we want to achieve?
- (with to) Prone, disposed.
- He was given to taking a couple of glasses of port at his club.
given (neuter givent, plural and definite singular attributive givne)
|Inflection of given|
|Indefinte common singular||given||—||—2|
|Indefinite neuter singular||givent||—||—2|
|1) When an adjective is applied predicatively to something definite, the corresponding "indefinite" form is used.|
2) The "indefinite" superlatives may not be used attributively.
- Alternative form of ȝiven (influenced by Old Norse)
The adjective and verb senses are the past participle of ge.
given (not comparable)
- which goes without saying, which is obvious
- Han har en given plats i landslaget.
- It goes without saying that he has a place in the national team.
- (literally, “He has a [given] place in the national team.”)
|Inflection of given|
|1) Only used, optionally, to refer to things whose natural gender is masculine.|
2) The indefinite superlative forms are only used in the predicative.
3) Dated or archaic
- past participle of ge.
- Obsolete plural form of ger, present tense of ge. 2nd person only.
- Obsolete plural form of ge, imperative of ge. 2nd person only.
- Tagen därför ifrån honom hans pund, och given det åt den som har de tio punden.
- Take therefore the talent from him, and give [it] unto him which hath ten talents. (Matthew 25:28)
- English terms suffixed with -n
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/ɪvən/2 syllables
- English non-lemma forms
- English verb forms
- English irregular past participles
- English lemmas
- English prepositions
- English terms with usage examples
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English adjectives
- English adjectives ending in -en
- Danish terms with IPA pronunciation
- Danish non-lemma forms
- Danish verb forms
- Danish lemmas
- Danish adjectives
- Middle English lemmas
- Middle English verbs
- Swedish past participles
- Swedish verb forms
- Swedish terms with audio links
- Swedish lemmas
- Swedish adjectives
- Swedish terms with usage examples
- Swedish non-lemma forms
- Swedish noun forms
- Swedish obsolete verb forms