Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (US, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈkɑntɹəˌvɝsi/
- (UK) IPA(key): /kənˈtɹɒvəsi/ (most common);IPA(key): /ˈkɒntɹəvɜːsi/ (older, less common) 
controversy (plural controversies)
- A debate, discussion of opposing opinions; strife.
2011 October 1, Phil McNulty, “Everton 0 - 2 Liverpool”, in BBC Sport:
- The game was engulfed in controversy when Rodwell appeared to win the ball cleanly in a midfield challenge with Suarez. The tackle drew an angry response from Liverpool's players- Lucas in particular as Suarez writhed in agony - but it was an obvious injustice when the England Under-21 midfielder was shown the red card.
- See also Wikisaurus:dispute
debate, discussion of opposing opinions