Jump to navigation Jump to search
cracking (plural crackings)
- (chemistry) The thermal decomposition of a substance, especially that of crude petroleum in order to produce petrol / gasoline.
- The formation of cracks on a surface.
- The production of a crack sound.
- the crackings of whips
formation of cracks
- That cracks; that produces a sharp sound as of something splitting or breaking.
- (colloquial) Great.
- The race started at a cracking pace.
- (colloquial) Enjoyable.
- We had a cracking time.
- 2020 December 30, Richard Clinnick, “Greater Anglia strikes again...”, in Rail, page 43:
- Near the back of the concourse is a piano, [...]. Explains Reeve: "It was donated by a lady who had written to me. My Duty Manager at the time had a qualification and so was able to restore it to full working order. I've heard some cracking tunes on it."
cracking (not comparable)