Jump to navigation Jump to search
detester (plural detesters)
- Someone who detests, a hater.
- 1889, Charles Brockden Brown, Arthur Mervyn:
- I exclaimed, with sparkling eyes and a rapturous accent, "you are not profligate; are a stranger to the manners of this house, and a detester of these manners?
- 1846, Leigh Hunt, Stories from the Italian Poets= With Lives of the Writers, Vol. 2:
- In a short time a jealous feud sprang up between the loving friends Rinaldo and Orlando; and Angelica, torn with conflicting emotions, from her dread on her father's account as well as her own, and her aversion to every knight but her detester, was at one time compelled to apply to Orlando for assistance, and at another, being afraid that he would have the better of Rinaldo in combat, to send him away on a perilous adventure elsewhere, with a promise of accepting his love should he succeed.
- 1819, Walter Scott, Ivanhoe:
- We give the fact as it occurs in Bannatyne's Journal, only premising that the Journalist held his master's opinions, both with respect to the Earl of Cassilis as an opposer of the king's party, and as being a detester of the practice of granting church revenues to titulars, instead of their being devoted to pious uses, such as the support of the clergy, expense of schools, and the relief of the national poor.
- Middle French conjugation varies from one text to another. Hence, the following conjugation should be considered as typical, not as exhaustive.
Conjugation of detester
|gerund||en detestant||Use the gerund of avoir followed by the past participle|
|indicative||ie (may be i' before a vowel)||tu||il||nous||vous||ilz, elles|
|imperfect||detestois, detestoys||detestois, detestoys||detestoit, detestoyt||detestions, detestyons||detestiez, detestyez||detestoient, detestoyent|
|conditional||detesterois, detesteroys||detesterois, detesteroys||detesteroit, detesteroyt||detesterions, detesteryons||detesteriez, detesteryez||detesteroient, detesteroyent|
|present perfect||Use the present tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|past anterior||Use the past historic tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|future perfect||Use the future tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|conditional perfect||Use the conditional tense of avoir followed by the past participle|
|subjunctive||que ie||que tu||qu'il||que nous||que vous||qu'ilz, qu'elles|
|past||Use the present subjunctive of avoir followed by the past participle|
|pluperfect||Use the imperfect subjunctive of avoir followed by the past participle|