Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɪˈpləʊməsi/
- (General American) IPA(key): /dɪˈploʊməsi/
Audio (CA) (file)
- Hyphenation: di‧plo‧ma‧cy
- The art and practice of conducting international relations by negotiating alliances, treaties, agreements etc., bilaterally or multilaterally, between states and sometimes international organizations, or even between polities with varying status, such as those of monarchs and their princely vassals.
- Synonyms: statesmanship, statecraft
- Hyponyms: commodity diplomacy, dollar diplomacy, gastrodiplomacy, gunboat diplomacy, hostage diplomacy, ping-pong diplomacy, panda diplomacy
- National diplomacy typically deploys its dexterity to secure advantage for one's nation.
- 2012, BioWare, Mass Effect 3 (Science Fiction), Redwood City: Electronic Arts, →OCLC, PC, scene: Normandy SR-2:
- Admiral Hackett: Hell of a thing you just pulled off, Commander. Curing the genophage? I never thought I'd see the day.
Shepard: Wrex has agreed to help the turians, Admiral. We should get their full support.
Admiral Hackett: And the salarians? How did you manage to get them on board?
Shepard: Careful diplomacy.
Admiral Hackett: Uh-huh… I don’t think I want to know what that means. Doesn't matter. You're starting to put together a real alliance out there.
Admiral Hackett: Good work, Commander. Hackett, out.
- Tact and subtle skill in dealing with people so as to avoid or settle hostility.
art of conducting international relations
tact and subtle skill in dealing with people