do the trick
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To work; to be successful; to solve a problem; to be sufficient or adequate to fulfill a purpose.
1885, H. Rider Haggard, chapter 3, in King Solomon's Mines:
- [J]ust that little extra second did the trick.
1921, Victor Appleton, chapter 24, in Tom Swift Among The Fire Fighters:
- "It was the chemicals from this young man's airship that did the trick!"
- 2002 April 15, Laura Bradford, "Three Ways To Give Nature A Helping Hand," Time:
- Sometimes hormone therapy does the trick, but many infertile couples require more sophisticated manipulation of sperm and eggs.