Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Donnée
donnée (plural données)
- A given; in a literary work, that which is assumed as to characters, situation, etc., as a basis for the plot or story.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of W. E. Henley to this entry?)
- that favourite romance donnée of the heir kept out of his own
- 1884, Henry James, The Art of Fiction:
- We must grant the artist his subject, his idea, what the French call his donnée; our criticism is applied only to what he makes of it.
- 1990, Camille Paglia, Sexual Personae:
- The donnée is from Boccaccio's Decameron, where a party of Florentine gentry flee to the countryside to escape the Black Death.
donnée f (plural données)