down in the dumps
Jump to navigation Jump to search
From dump “a dull, gloomy state of the mind.”
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) Sad; lacking engagement or enthusiasm.
- 1886, Edward Payson Roe, chapter 2, in He Fell In Love With His Wife:
- "You've got down in the dumps and can't see what's sensible and to your own advantage."
- 2009, Brian McVicar, "Some in Mich. turn to ice fishing as economy dives," chicagotribune.com, 2 Feb. (retrieved 3 Feb 2009):
- "Being out of work sometimes makes you feel down in the dumps and being out here with my buddies helps."