Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To reduce in size or number.
- Joe and Edna moved to a bungalow after deciding to downsize when the children had left home.
- The company chose to downsize by laying off half of its workers.
- (transitive) To reduce the workforce of.
- They downsized the division by offering attractive early-retirement packages and selling off an office building.
- (transitive) To terminate the employment of.
- Joe got downsized and became a plumber.
- See also Wikisaurus:lay off
to reduce in size or number
to reduce the workforce of