Jump to navigation Jump to search
duenna (plural duennas)
- a chaperon of a young lady, usually an older woman.
- 1834, L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], Francesca Carrara. […], volume III, London: Richard Bentley, […], (successor to Henry Colburn), OCLC 630079698, page 193:
- 'Madam, I have a secret to tell you.' Now the very word secret is enough to rouse any one's curiosity; and, giving a quick glance round to see if her duennas were on the alert, she prepared to listen, and I saw that her eye had caught sight of the letter.
- 1949, Joseph Campbell, The Hero with a Thousand Faces:
- Then he placed her in a house and shut her up in a chamber, appointing ten old women as duennas to guard her, and forbade her to go forth to the Seven Palaces.
- a governess or nanny.
a chaperon of a young lady
a governess or nanny