Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (obsolete) Harsh treatment.
- The agreements […] made with the landlords during the time of slavery, are only the effect of duress and force.
- Constraint by threat.
- (law) Restraint in which a person is influenced, whether by lawful or unlawful forceful compulsion of their liberty by monition or implementation of physical enforcement; legally for the incuring of civil liability, of a citizen's arrest, or of subrogation, or illegally for the committing of an offense, of forcing a contract, or of using threats.
constraint by threat
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- To put under duress; to pressure.
- Someone was duressing her.
- The small nation was duressed into giving up territory.