Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (obsolete) Harsh treatment.
- The agreements […] made with the landlords during the time of slavery, are only the effect of duress and force.
- Constraint by threat.
- (law) Requisite restraint in which a person is influenced, whether by lawful or unlawful forceful compulsion of their liberty by admonition or implementation of physical enforcement; for the incuring of civil liability, of committing an offence, of a civil arrest, or inclusion of subrogation.
constraint by threat
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- To put under duress; to pressure.
- Someone was duressing her.
- The small nation was duressed into giving up territory.