Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (of the decade) 'eighties
- Rhymes: -eɪtiz
- plural of
- The decade of the 1880s, 1980s, etc.
1914, Amherst College, “Amherst graduates' quarterly”, volume 4, page 6:
- Our readers — and contributors — are apt to elect a good deal according to years. The seventies and eighties, we may suppose, are concerned for the large educational and cultural interests of their Alma Mater; the nineties are deep in the practical and business activities; the noughties are not naughty, but still young enough to sport a fantastic costume at reunion and let the college wag as it will; the oneties are the really wise as to what the college ought to be, especially on its athletic side, but as contributors modest.
- 1919, Harry Hamilton Johnston, The Gay-Dombeys: A Novel, Macmillan, page 172,
- He and his clever staff of minor blackguards exploited to the full every weakness and caries in the London Society of the 'eighties, 'nineties, and 'oughts.
- The decade of one's life from age 80 through age 89.
the decade of the 1980s
|21th century||2000s - 2010s - 2020s|
|20th century||1900s - 1910s - 1920s - 1930s - 1940s - 1950s - 1960s - 1970s - 1980s - 1990s|
|19th century||1800s - 1810s - 1820s - 1830s - 1840s - 1850s - 1860s - 1870s - 1880s - 1890s|
|18th century||1710s - 1720s - 1730s - 1740s - 1750s - 1760s - 1770s - 1780s - 1790s|
|Previous||1000s - 1010s - 1020s - 1030s - 1040s - 1050s - 1060s - 1070s - 1080s - 1090s|
|Decade only||00s - 10s - 20s - 30s - 40s - 50s - 60s - 70s - 80s - 90s|
|'00s - '10s - '20s - '30s - '40s - '50s - '60s - '70s - '80s - '90s|
|00's - 10's - 20's - 30's - 40's - 50's - 60's - 70's - 80's - 90's|
|aughts/noughties/oughts - oneties/tens/teens - twenties - thirties - forties - fifties - sixties - seventies - eighties - nineties|
|Nicknames||Gay Nineties - Naughty Nineties - Dirty Thirties - Roaring Twenties|