Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Pertaining to or based on experience (often, in contrast with having a basis in theoretical explanation).
- The lengths were calculated according to the empirical rules of the trade.
- For some presumptive diagnoses, empirical antibiotic therapy begins immediately, whereas specific antibiotic therapy must await the results of the culture and sensitivity test.
- Antonym: theoretical
- H. Spencer
- The village carpenter […] lays out his work by empirical rules learnt in his apprenticeship.
- Pertaining to, derived from, or testable by observations made using the physical senses or using instruments which extend the senses.
- (philosophy of science) Verifiable by means of scientific experimentation.
pertaining to or based on experience
pertaining to, derived from, or testable by observations
verifiable by means of scientific experimentation
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.