Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A betrothal.
- 1949, Joseph Campbell, The Hero with a Thousand Faces:
- So he pressed her again and again with advice on the matter of espousals; but she ever opposed to him refusals, till at last she turned upon him angrily and cried, "O my father, if thou name matrimony to me once more, I will go into my chamber and take a sword, and, fixing its hilt on the ground, will set its point to my waist; then I will press upon it, till it come forth from my back, and so slay myself."
- A wedding ceremony.
- Adoption of a plan, cause, or idea.
betrothal — see betrothal
- espousal in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- espousal in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
- espousal at OneLook Dictionary Search