far be it
(Redirected from far be it from me)
- (idiomatic) A disclaimer stating that the person speaking will not do something.
- And Joab answered and said, Far be it, far be it from me, that I should swallow up or destroy.
- Pewtey in Marriage Guidance Counselor from And Now For Something Completely Different
- Well, it all started when we first went to Brighton on holiday together. Dierdre (that's my wife) and I have always been very close companions, and I never particularly anticipated any marital strife. Indeed, the very idea of consulting such a professional marital advisor as yourself has always been of the greatest repugnance to me. Although, (chuckles) far be it from me to impugn the nature of your trade, or ... or profession.
- Samuel 20:20,
- In contemporary usage, this phrase is followed by a prepositional phrase using from or for followed by an infinitive, except when used without an explicit infinitive, which is presumed understood from the context.
- It is often followed by a clause introduced by but.