Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Farrier
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfæɹi.ə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɛɹi.əɹ/
- Rhymes: -æriə(r)
Audio (UK) (file)
farrier (plural farriers)
- A person who maintains the health and balance of horses' feet through the trimming of the hoof and fitting of horseshoes.
- blacksmith (informal)
person who trims and shoes horses' hooves
- (intransitive) To practise as a farrier; to carry on the trade of a farrier.
- 1707, J[ohn] Mortimer, The Whole Art of Husbandry; or, The Way of Managing and Improving of Land. […], 2nd edition, London: […] J[ohn] H[umphreys] for H[enry] Mortlock […], and J[onathan] Robinson […], published 1708, OCLC 13320837:
- though there are many Pretenders to the Art of Farriering and Cow-leeching , yet many of them are very ignorant , especially in the Countrie