Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfəʊldɪŋ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfoʊldɪŋ/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊldɪŋ
- Hyphenation: fold‧ing
- Designed to fold; as a folding bed, a folding bicycle, a folding chair, etc.
made to fold
- The action of folding; a fold.
- 2007, Greg Patent, Dave McLean, A Baker's Odyssey:
- Refrigerating the dough between rollings and foldings also makes the dough easy to handle and prevents the butter from becoming too soft.
- The keeping of sheep in enclosures on arable land, etc.
- (computing, programming) Code folding: a source code display technique that can hide the contents of methods, classes, etc. for easier navigation.
- (geology) the deformation of the Earth's crust in response to slow lateral compression.
- (slang) Paper money, as opposed to coins.
- 1953, Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye, Penguin, published 2010, page 123:
- He has written twelve of these fat sex and sword-play historical novels and every damn one of them has been on the best-seller lists. He must have made plenty of the folding.
action of folding