Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /fɔɹˈbeɹən(t)s/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /fɔːˈbɛːɹən(t)s/
- (General New Zealand) IPA(key): /foːˈbiəɹɘn(t)s/
- Patient self-control; restraint and tolerance under provocation.
- 2010 August 3, David Bennun, Tick Bite Fever, Random House, page 109:
- I WOULD HAVE been nine or ten when my mother chased me up a thorn tree with a ceremonial hippo-hide whip. What my crime was, I forget. My mother was, and remains, a woman of exceptional forbearance. I must have done something so obnoxious as to beggar belief.
- A refraining from the enforcement of something (as a debt, right, or obligation) that is due.
restraint under provocation
not enforcing something due