Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Middle English forecastel, forcastel, (whence also Anglo-French forechasteil), equivalent to fore- + castle. Compare Dutch voorkasteel.
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfoʊk.səl/, /ˈfoɹ.kæ.səl/
Audio (US) (file)
forecastle (plural forecastles)
- (nautical) A raised part of the upper deck at the front of a ship.
- (nautical) Crew's quarters located at the forward part of a ship.
nautical: raised part of the upper deck at bow
- English terms inherited from Middle English
- English terms derived from Middle English
- English terms prefixed with fore-
- English 2-syllable words
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- en:Ship parts