Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (art) An early 20th century avant-garde art movement focused on speed, the mechanical, and the modern, which took a deeply antagonistic attitude to traditional artistic conventions.
- 1910, Gilbert Keith Chesterton, “The Futurists”, in Alarms and Discursions:
- Suffice it to say that Futurism has a gratifying dislike both of Liberal politics and Christian morals; I say gratifying because, however unfortunately the cross and the cap of liberty have quarrelled, they are always united in the feeble hatred of such silly megalomaniacs as these. […]
- The study and prediction of possible futures.
- Synonym: futurology
- (Judaism) The Jewish expectation of the messiah in the future rather than recognizing him in the presence of Christ.
- (Christianity) Eschatological interpretations associating some Biblical prophecies with future events yet to be fulfilled, including the Second Coming.
study of possible futures — see futurology
futurism n (uncountable)