From Middle French gehenne, from Old French gehine (“punishment resulting from admission of guilt”), from gehir (“to admit, confess, acknowledge”), from Frankish *jehhjan (“to say, confess”), from Proto-Germanic *jehaną (“to affirm, say”), from Proto-Indo-European *yek- (“to speak”).
gêne f (plural gênes)
- first-person singular present indicative of
- third-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- second-person singular imperative of