Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (video games) A message signaling that the game has ended, usually because the player failed (for example by losing all of their lives) but sometimes following successful completion of the game.
- 1984, Robert Maxxe, Arcade:
- Before I could figure out what the hell was the object of the game, I hear the thing go boom-boom, and the screen lights up with a sign: game over.
- (by extension) The end of some ongoing situation due to either failure or success.
- If your wife finds out about us, it's game over!
- 2004, Ryan Russell, Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent, page xxi:
- Once we started attacking that network from the inside, it was pretty much game over.
end of some ongoing situation
- (video games) An appearance of a game over message.
- When you die too many times in this game, you get a game over.
- (video games, rare) To receive a game over message.