Jump to navigation Jump to search
Altered from God. First seen in 1757 as by gosh, probably from by gosse in Nicholas Udall's Ralph Roister Doister (circa 1553).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɡɒʃ/
Audio (Berkshire, England) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɡɑːʃ/
- Rhymes: -ɒʃ
- (minced oath) A mild expression of surprise or enthusiasm.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:wow
- Gosh, I didn’t realize I’d cause so much trouble!
- Gosh, I’d love to go to that concert!
mild expression of surprise or enthusiasm