Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Care for one's personal appearance, hygiene, and clothing.
1907, Robert W[illiam] Chambers, “chapter IX”, in The Younger Set (Project Gutenberg; EBook #14852), New York, N.Y.: A. L. Burt Company, published 1 February 2005 (Project Gutenberg version), OCLC 4241346:
- “Heavens!” exclaimed Nina, “the blue-stocking and the fogy!—and yours are pale blue, Eileen!—you’re about as self-conscious as Drina—slumping there with your hair tumbling à la Mérode! Oh, it's very picturesque, of course, but a straight spine and good grooming is better. […]”
- The act of teaching someone, often for advancement at work.
- Caring for horses or other animals by brushing and cleaning them.
- The act of attempting to gain the trust of a minor with the intention of having a sexual relationship with him or her.
- (care for one's appearance):
- (act of teaching): coaching, mentoring
- (caring for horses): currying
- (attempting to gain the trust of a minor):
- (care for one's appearance): personal hygiene – more basic level of care
care for one's appearance
act of teaching
caring for horses
attempting to gain the trust of a minor
grooming m (uncountable)