hit someone for six
Jump to navigation Jump to search
From cricket, where hitting the ball over the boundary without it bouncing scores six runs, the maximum for one shot.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (cricket) To score six points against (a bowler) by hitting the ball over the boundary.
- (idiomatic) To affect in a devastating way by some unexpected news.
- When I heard about the accident, it hit me for six.
- To hit another person very hard.
- When he swore at me again, I couldn't hold back. So, I hit him for six.
affect in a devastating way (by unexpected news)