Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈhɒbɪɪst/
- (General American, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈhɑbiɪst/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: hob‧by‧ist
hobbyist (plural hobbyists)
- A person who is interested in an activity or a subject as a hobby.
- This computer magazine is targeted at both professionals and hobbyists.
- 1829 April, “Minor Morals―Answering Letters”, in The Christian Observer, volume 29, page 229:
- […] to a lady who is so busy with his own verses, or a scholar with a Greek scholium, or a hobbyist with his hobby, or any many with his own schemes and projects however good and important they may be, that he feels no interest in the concerns of others.
- 2018 February, Robert Draper, “They are Watching You—and Everything Else on the Planet: Technology and Our Increasing Demand for Security have Put Us All under Surveillance. Is Privacy Becoming just a Memory?”, in National Geographic, Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Society, ISSN 0027-9358, OCLC 1049714034, archived from the original on 14 June 2018:
- Presently the skies are cluttered with drones—2.5 million of which were purchased in 2016 by American hobbyists and businesses.
person interested in an activity or subject as a hobby