See also: hotrod
Attested since 1945 in American English, specifically meaning ‘hunk of metal’.
- Typically a passenger vehicle modified to run and/or accelerate faster. The term may be used generically to apply to any car, truck, or motorcycle (et al.) modified for increased speed and/or performance. It may also be used to specifically describe and refer to modified cars from the original (or traditional) era of "hot rods", post World War II and prior to 1960.
2017 December 1, Tom Breihan, “Mad Max: Fury Road might already be the best action movie ever made”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Miller famously tried to use as little CGI as possible in Fury Road. Instead, he got people to make the freaky, impossible cars he’d envisioned—the spike-covered scavenger-mobiles, the monster-truck hot rod, the enormous War Rig that really serves as a main character in itself—into functional vehicles.
- (sexuality, slang) Synonym of
- A colloquialism and slang term used to refer to the act of modifying a vehicle for enhanced driving performance, top speed, and/or to accelerate faster.
- "Are you going to hot rod [the vehicle] or leave it stock?"