Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: hotrod
Attested since 1945 in American English, specifically meaning ‘hunk of metal’.
Audio (AU) (file)
- Typically a passenger vehicle modified to run and/or accelerate faster. The term may be used generically to apply to any car, truck, or motorcycle (et al.) modified for increased speed and/or performance. It may also be used to specifically describe and refer to modified cars from the original (or traditional) era of "hot rods", post World War II and prior to 1960.
- 2017 December 1, Tom Breihan, “Mad Max: Fury Road might already be the best action movie ever made”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Miller famously tried to use as little CGI as possible in Fury Road. Instead, he got people to make the freaky, impossible cars he’d envisioned—the spike-covered scavenger-mobiles, the monster-truck hot rod, the enormous War Rig that really serves as a main character in itself—into functional vehicles.
- (sexuality, slang) Synonym of
- A colloquialism and slang term used to refer to the act of modifying a vehicle for enhanced driving performance, top speed, and/or to accelerate faster.
- "Are you going to hot rod [the vehicle] or leave it stock?"