- 1 English
- 2 Danish
- 3 Latin
- 4 Portuguese
- And others; to complete a list, especially of people, as authors of a published work.
Formally preferred by some over etc. for lists of people in all contexts, reserving etc. for lists of things (inanimate objects); the distinction is sometimes ignored in casual use, and the two abbreviations are used synonymously in many contexts for completing lists except in very careful or formal use. However, in lists of authors of a published work, et al. is still regularly used.
- And elsewhere; to complete a list of places.
- et al.; used to complete a list of authors
- Abbreviation for et alii (masculine), et aliae (feminine) or et alia (neuter), in all cases meaning and others. Mixed-gender groups would use et alii.
- Abbreviation for et alibi, meaning and other occurrences in a text.
- et al. (and others)