Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The act of identifying, or proving to be the same.
- Much education and experience is required for proper identification of bird species
- The state of being identified.
- A particular instance of identifying something.
- information necessary to make a good identification
- A document or documents serving as evidence of a person's identity.
- The authorities asked for his identification
- A feeling of support, sympathy, understanding or belonging towards somebody or something.
1998, Hugh Berrington, Britain in the nineties, page 192:
- In the English South and Midlands, identification with Britain ran well ahead of identification with the region; in Yorkshire and the northern England, identification with the region ran about equal to identification with Britain; and in Scotland and Wales (but more especially in Scotland) identification with the region ('Scotland' or 'Wales') ran well ahead of identification with Britain.
the act of identifying, or proving to be the same
the state of being identified
a particular instance of identifying something
a document or documents serving as evidence of a person's identity
feeling of support, sympathy, understanding or belonging
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
identification f (plural identifications)