Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The passing of title to an estate upon death.
- (countable) That which a person is entitled to inherit, by law or testament.
- (uncountable, esp. linguistics, biology) The act or mechanism of inheriting; the state of having inherited
- The Indo-European languages share various similarities as a result of their inheritance from a common ancestor.
- (biology, genetic algorithms) The biological attributes passed hereditarily from ancestors to their offspring.
- (programming, object-oriented programming) The mechanism whereby parts of a superclass are available to instances of its subclass.
passing of title
that which a person is entitled to inherit
biological attributes passed to offspring
programming: mechanism for making parts of superclass available to subclass
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- “inheritance” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary, 2001–2019.