Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To talk rapidly, indistinctly, or unintelligibly; to utter gibberish or nonsense.
- (transitive) To utter rapidly or indistinctly; to gabble.
1913, Joseph C. Lincoln, chapter 12, Mr. Pratt's Patients:
- She had Lord James' collar in one big fist and she pounded the table with the other and talked a blue streak. Nobody could make out plain what she said, for she was mainly jabbering Swede lingo, but there was English enough, of a kind, to give us some idee.
- Rapid or incoherent talk, with indistinct utterance; gibberish.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Jonathan Swift to this entry?)