Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
leeway (plural leeways)
- The drift of a ship or airplane in a leeward direction.
- A varying degree or amount of freedom or flexibility; margin, latitude, elbowroom.
- I don't think we have a lot of leeway when it comes to proper formatting.
- 2005, James Gosling et al., The Java Language Specification, Third Edition, Prentice Hall PTR, ISBN 0321246780, section 15.4 “FP-strict Expressions”,
- Within an expression that is not […] -strict, some leeway is granted for an implementation to use an extended exponent range to represent intermediate results;
- (Britain) An adverse discrepancy or variation in a cumulative process, usually in make up leeway.
drift of a ship or airplane in a leeward direction
degree or amount of freedom or flexibility