Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
discrepancy (plural discrepancies)
- An inconsistency between facts or sentiments.
2013 June 7, Gary Younge, “Hypocrisy lies at heart of Manning prosecution”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 18:
- WikiLeaks did not cause these uprisings but it certainly informed them. The dispatches revealed details of corruption and kleptocracy that many Tunisians suspected, […]. They also exposed the blatant discrepancy between the west's professed values and actual foreign policies.
- They found a discrepancy between the first set of test results and the second, and they're still trying to figure out why.
- The state or quality of being discrepant.
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:discrepancy.
- (inconsistency): conflict, contrariety, deviation, difference, disagreement, disparity, divergence, incompatibility, inconsistency, mismatch, variance, variation, dissimilarity, anomaly
- (discrepant state): discordance, anomalous