Jump to navigation Jump to search
lexicographer (plural lexicographers)
- One who writes or compiles a dictionary
- [1755 April 15, Samuel Johnson, “Lexico′grapher”, in A Dictionary of the English Language: […] In Two Volumes, volume II (L–Z), London: […] J[ohn] and P[aul] Knapton; […], OCLC 1637325, column 1:
- Lexico′grapher. [...] A writer of dictionaries; a harmleſs drudge, that buſies himſelf in tracing the original, and detailing the ſignification of words.]
- 1811, George Gordon Byron, Hints from Horace:
- Pitt has furnish'd us a word or two / Which lexicographers declined to do.
- 1860, Thomas Babington Macaulay, Biographies contributed to the Encyclopædia Britannica:
- The best lexicographer may well be content if his productions are received by the world with cold esteem.
one who writes or compiles a dictionary